To Press Releases listSep 4, 2008
Project WET Makes a Splash at 2008 Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival
“Make a Splash” Hands-On Water Celebration Promotes Sustainability, Sponsored by Nestlé Waters North America
VINEYARD HAVEN, Martha’s Vineyard (September 5, 2008) – The 2008 Martha’s Vineyard International Film Festival is about to get soaked – with water education! Project WET (Water Education for Teachers), an award-winning, global water education program and publisher, will bring its Make a Splash event to the film festival. The event is open to the public and will take place at Owen Park on Saturday, September 13, from 10-2 p.m. EDT. Tisbury Waterways Incorporated, a Martha’s Vineyard-based nonprofit for water advocacy, will also participate in the event.
Sponsored by Nestlé Waters North America, Make a Splash will offer hands-on activities to help families learn about a resource they use every day, including:
- Water Conservation: Find out why it’s important to conserve water at home, school and in your community. Construct a water flow cup, and discover how water-saving devices work. Learn important water conservation tips.
- Health and Hydration: Determine why hydration is critical. Pretend you’re a water molecule and travel through the human body. Which organ uses more water – your heart or your lungs? How much water should you drink in a day to maintain peak physical performance and mental acuity?
- 4Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Renew: Learn what you can do at home, school and in your community to practice the 4Rs. What happens after you put a plastic bottle into the recycling bin? What innovative products have come from recycled materials?
- Ground Water: See how our actions above ground affect the quality of water below. Using a ground water flow model, watch as water moves through sand, clay and rock; witness the interaction of surface and ground water.
- “The importance of responsible water use – by both consumers and corporations – cannot be emphasized enough,” said Dr. Laurina Lyle, executive director and national network coordinator, Project WET USA, who will be on-site at Saturday’s event. “We feel honored to be able to participate in this event at the Martha’s Vineyard International Film Festival. As one of the few family-focused events at the Festival, we are excited to join in the conversation with attendees of all ages about water and the environment.”
“Since 1992, Nestlé Waters North America has sponsored Project WET. This company has made it possible for our program to reach millions of students and teachers in more than 40 countries on five continents,” Lyle added.
About Project WET USA
Established in 1984, Project WET’s mission is to reach children, parents, teachers and communities of the world with water education. To learn more, visit Project WET.
About Nestlé Waters North America and Project WET
Make a Splash with Project WET is made possible through support from Nestlé Waters North America and its local brands, including
Arrowhead®, Deer Park®, Ice Mountain®, Ozarka®, Poland Spring® and Zephyrhills®, and its national brand, Nestlé® Pure Life®. For almost two decades the company’s focus on offering a healthful, convenience-sized product and environmental stewardship has kept it the industry leader. Learn more at Nestlé Waters North America.